By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Spectrum Pharmaceuticals (SPPI) has lost a quarter of its value in the last three weeks, but now the bulls are back.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 3,500 November 16 calls for 45 cents at the same second in the final hour of trading Tuesday. This is clearly new buying, as open interest in the strike was only 749 contracts at the beginning of the day.
The stock fell 3.24% to end the session at $12.23. The hematology and oncology drug developer gapped lower on Aug. 8 after reporting quarterly results even though it beat earnings and revenue forecasts.If Tuesday's long calls are held until they expire in mid-November, the stock would need to be above $16.45 at that time for the options to be profitable --a level seen just three weeks ago. Premiums on those contracts could also increase well before expiration if the shares rise by lesser margins, providing an opportunity to sell the calls with gains sooner. The trading pushed overall option volume in the name to nearly double its daily average. Calls outnumbered puts by 3 to 1, a reflection of the bullish sentiment. Yamamoto has no positions in SPPI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV