NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Knowing when to pull the trigger on a falling stock is not for the faint of heart. There is a valid reason why Wall Street insiders call value investing "catching a falling knife."
One person's losing trade is another's bargain buy, if you know when it's the right time to strike. We may not be able to predict the future, but we can predict the odds of a stock bottom based on previous charting patterns.
As long as a company is profitable, at some point a dropping stock price will collide with value buyers and investors no longer willing to give up their shares. When sellers run out of a desire to liquidate their shares, is when we see the price stabilize.
On July 27 I wrote this article describing over sold stocks at that time. Let's take a look to see how they performed. I will use the closing price on July 27 as the starting price, and closing on Monday as the change reference point. All returns are rounded down.
|TRW Automotive (TRW)||+ 22.4%|
|Tiffany (TIF)||+ 1.5%|
|Tyson Foods (TSN)||+3.9%|
|Las Vegas Sands (LVS)||+7%|
|Boston Scientific (BSX)||+5.5%|
|Arch Coal (ACI)||+6.1%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV