NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Knowing when to pull the trigger on a falling stock is not for the faint of heart. There is a valid reason why Wall Street insiders call value investing "catching a falling knife."
One person's losing trade is another's bargain buy, if you know when it's the right time to strike. We may not be able to predict the future, but we can predict the odds of a stock bottom based on previous charting patterns.
As long as a company is profitable, at some point a dropping stock price will collide with value buyers and investors no longer willing to give up their shares. When sellers run out of a desire to liquidate their shares, is when we see the price stabilize.
On July 27 I wrote
|TRW Automotive (TRW)||+ 22.4%|
|Tiffany (TIF)||+ 1.5%|
|Tyson Foods (TSN)||+3.9%|
|Las Vegas Sands (LVS)||+7%|
|Boston Scientific (BSX)||+5.5%|
|Arch Coal (ACI)||+6.1%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV