In addition to that, it is in Toshiba Excite, all of these actually come from Samsung, but these are other products that have OLED technology in them, organic light-emitting diode technology as Jed said, it is actually thin-films of emissive materials. An OLED is a solid-state device, and the entire OLED stack is 11,000 to thickness of a hair. So it is a very thin technology. Samsung and LG has each demonstrated 55-inch OLED TVs at SID and at a number of other conferences, there has been reports that they’re going to introduce them at anytime from this summer to the end of the year, to the end of next year, realistically I don’t think anybody is going to have any volume at least until the end of next year. They are making them today in pilot facilities and prototyping facilities. Even though they just reported LG will sell 15,000 units. I think when they do that, you’re talking about $8,000 or $9,000 a unit. So it is really not a real product that is in the marketplace.
Jed talked a little bit about lighting I believe next door. OLEDs are very efficient light generators. We can get almost a 100 lumens per watt in the laboratories, but in an OLED light source really gives you some things that other technologies cannot. If you look at the top right hand picture, that is an Acuity Brands light source. It is literally each one is as thick as two pieces of glass. So architecturally you can make things that blend into the walls, the ceilings, it does and it generates very little heat and I’ll talk a little bit of more about that, but OLED lighting is something as we move forward, we’ll start to get commercialized in the next few years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV