OMAHA, Neb., Aug. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- As part of its 150 th anniversary celebration, Union Pacific Railroad introduced an engaging new teacher's resource kit as a tool to help students learn the history of America's first transcontinental railroad. Completed in 1869, the transcontinental railroad connected the west to the east and opened it for development and commerce. The teacher's resource kit will help educators meet national standards for history and social studies courses for grades 3-8.
"Because Union Pacific's history is so closely tied to American history, and with so many schools on a tight budget, we believe our 150 th anniversary is the perfect time to provide a free educational resource for teachers," said Donna Kush, Union Pacific assistant vice president – Corporate Communications. "Students will especially enjoy how the story of the transcontinental railroad's construction comes to life with stereo card reproductions and 3-D viewers for an engaging experience."Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railway Act in 1862, creating Union Pacific and authorizing construction of the transcontinental railroad. Union Pacific began building to the west in Omaha, Neb., where the railroad's headquarters remains today. The teacher's resource kit details the railroad industry's challenges and accomplishments during construction. Once completed, the transcontinental railroad reduced the journey across the country from four-to-six months to just one week. Developed by the Union Pacific Railroad Museum, the resource includes:
- 10 Andrew Russell stereo card reproductions from the Union Pacific collection;
- A plastic stereo card viewer to experience the 3-D effect;
- Materials in textbook-style reading;
- Suggested additional student reading and informational websites;
- A foldout poster depicting the iconic photograph of the completion of the transcontinental railroad.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV