I'm turning the call back now to Phil and the management team.
Phil E. Mulacek
Thank you, Galen. On to the business at hand. The second quarter, we saw a dramatic slide in Brent Crude Oil prices from over $128 in late March to $88 in late June, almost a $30 swing. This swing had the biggest impact on our financial results. Our second quarter loss of $31.7 million included $28.3 million of inventory write-downs as a result. Excluding the write-downs, our operating business still generated a profit even though we had reduced Refining margins and the timing of crude purchases. In refine product sales, our downstream business was strong. Fortunately, the moves of energy works both ways, so we're off to a better start for the third quarter with Brent rising from the lower $88s to over $113 today, a healthy $20 to $25 swing. Collin will cover these in more detail shortly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV