Investment managers including Viking Global Investors, Renaissance Technologies, Third Point and others increased their positions in the iPhone, iPad and Mac maker during the second quarter. Shares of Apple fell during the period, losing 2.6% of its value, compared with a 5.1% decline in the Nasdaq.
Here is a list of some of the more notable hedge fund investors and what they did with their Apple holdings during the second quarter, according to releases today:
Viking Global Investors -- The $12 billion long-only fund run by Andreas Halvorsen and David C. Ott added 807,300 shares to bring their stake to just over 980,000 shares.Renaissance Technologies -- The hedge fund founded by former code breaker James Simons, bought 231,700 shares. As of the end of June, Renaissance held 968,319 shares in Apple. Third Point -- Activist investor Dan Loeb and his multi-billion fund purchased 63,000 shares of the world's most valuable technology company to bring his stake to 425,000 shares.
Tiger Global Management -- Chase Coleman's fund added 175,000 shares for a total of 1.4 million shares. Also of note was Greenlight Capital's David Einhorn, which cut its stake in Apple. Einhorn peeled off 9,180 shares in Apple during the quarter. Shares of Apple closed higher in Tuesday trade, up 0.3% to $631.69. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV