Dicker: Many Happy Returns?
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A recent debate between Wharton Professor Jeremy Siegel and Pimco founder Bill Gross has called into question the "historic" outperformance of stocks compared to every other asset class, and the ability of stocks to keep outperforming in the next decade.
Gross is the leader of one of the largest families of asset funds at Pimco. In a nutshell the so-called "Bond King" wrote in his
Siegel, who wrote one of the biggest bestsellers in finance, "Stocks for the Long Haul,"
That these big hitters are duking it out is important for every investor because it signals that even the brightest economic minds are not sure about the future returns of stocks.If they're not sure, what are we supposed to do as investors? Both agree on the return portion of dividends as a total of stock returns, which historically has totaled slightly less than half of total return. That percentage can't be ignored, particularly in a market environment like this one where GDP numbers are collapsing all around the globe and the growth prospect of companies and their stocks are all the more in doubt. The one statistic that has undeniably buoyed stocks in the past two years above all others has been the dividend yield of the S&P 500, even now at 1.94%. Nearly 2% isn't the greatest yield the S&P 500 has seen; in fact, it is one of the smallest historically . But what has put so much upwards pressure on stocks has been the relative return of other assets, particularly bonds. The yield on the S&P 500 is still outpacing the yield on 10-year Treasuries by more than 40 basis points. With the continuing downwards pressure on Treasury yields exerted by the Federal Reserve, we should continue to see relatively strong stock prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV