Coach's sales in China grew 60% during its recent fiscal fourth quarter; however, Deutsche Bank research analyst Dave Weiner expressed concern over Coach's correlation with the US economic environment and its limited brand recognition in Europe. Coach's North American sales for the quarter rose a marginal 1.7%.
Weiner lowered his Coach price target from $68 to $57.50, but maintained his "hold" rating.
Michael Kors' international brand recognition could be attributed to designer and company founder Michael Kors, who reached the masses as a judge on the Emmy-nominated reality television program Project Runway, starting in 2004. Set against this backdrop, the luxury retailer launched the fashion industry's largest U.S. public offering in December 2011, a deal which valued the company at $3.8 billion -- 45 times more than its earnings at the time.
In March of this year, Michael Kors sold 25 million shares of stock in a secondary offering at a price of $47 per share, to raise in excess of $1.7 billion.The New York-based company expects to generate revenue between $490 million to $500 million in the second quarter of 2013, which assumes a comparable store sales increase of approximately 30%. Michael Kors also forecast earnings between 33 cents a share and 35 cents a share -- a bold outlook considering analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are only looking for 29 cents of earnings on $444.55 of revenue. Michael Kors shares are up 13.67% to $48.14 on Tuesday and 76.66% year to date. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV