Albemarle (ALB) may be up around 18% in 2012, but don't let that fool you. This stock has actually been moving lower for most of the year.
Shares of the chemical manufacturer rallied hard in January and February, rallying more than 31% in the first month of the New Year. But they've been in a downtrend ever since, giving back double-digit gains for the scores of investors who were late to the party on the first quarter rally. Since that peak this year, shares have been moving lower in a well-defined downtrend, bouncing between trend line support and resistance as they made their move lower.
Right now, Albemarle is testing trend line resistance -- but that's precisely when you don't want to be a buyer. While a test of resistance sounds like a good thing (it's the spot where shares could move higher out of the channel, right?), it's actually the place where ALB has the most downside risk back down to its historical "price floor" at trendline support.With the 50-day moving average already pointed lower and the 200-day close behind, this stock's downtrend is getting cemented. I'd suggest exiting here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV