NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The major U.S. equity averages finished mixed Tuesday as a stronger-than-expected rebound in retail sales in July failed to fuel substantial buying.
Trading was positive for most of the low-volume session with investors also enjoying a measure of relief after the latest eurozone gross domestic product data contained no ugly surprises. But the view that the improved U.S. economic data of late lowers the chance that the Federal Reserve will eventually provide additional monetary stimulus dampened sentiment as the day wore on, as did another weak reading on small-business optimism.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up nearly 3 points, or 0.02%, at 13,172, The blue-chip index stuck within a roughly 80-point range on the day, and is up 8% so far in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV