WILMERDING, Pa., Aug. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB) said its MotivePower subsidiary has signed a $45 million contract with Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario and the regional transportation authority for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), to repower 11 locomotives with new engines and propulsion systems that meet significantly higher environmental standards. Deliveries are expected to begin in 2014.
The locomotives, originally built by MotivePower about five years ago, will be repowered with new engines that meet Tier 4 emission standards, as set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. They include technology that reduces diesel particulate emissions by about 85 percent and NOx emissions by about 75 percent compared to the current models.
"These will be the first North American passenger locomotives to be equipped with Tier 4 technology," said Albert J. Neupaver, Wabtec's president and chief executive officer. "We believe MotivePower is well positioned to participate further in this market by offering similar environmental upgrades to existing diesel-electric commuter locomotives throughout North America as the new standards are phased in over the next several years."
Wabtec Corporation ( www.wabtec.com) is a global provider of value-added, technology-based products and services for the rail and transit industry. Through its subsidiaries, the company manufactures a range of products for locomotives, freight cars and passenger transit vehicles. The company has facilities located throughout the world. MotivePower ( www.motivepower-wabtec.com) is an industry leader in the design, manufacture and re-manufacture of diesel-electric locomotives.SOURCE Wabtec Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV