The Big Cajun II Generating Station in New Roads, La., has received the highest level of recognition, Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star status, for exemplary workplace health and safety efforts from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Big Cajun II is part of Louisiana Generating, a subsidiary of NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG).
“Achieving VPP STAR status means Big Cajun II is now part of a top-tier program that encourages companies to voluntarily go above and beyond to protect workers’ safety and health,” said Abe Burrell, plant manager. “This is a glowing employee success story about a management and labor commitment to work as a team to put safety first.”
The Big Cajun II station received its official VPP Star certification after a rigorous, three-year process of improvements and evaluation by OSHA auditors. The Star Program is designed to recognize exemplary work sites with comprehensive, successful safety and health management systems. Companies in the Star Program have achieved superior health and safety records for their respective industries. Star participants are reevaluated every few years, although incident rates are reviewed annually.
“Safety for our employees, our neighbors and the environment is always the first priority of NRG and Louisiana Generating and I want to commend the men and women of Big Cajun II for their hard work and constant commitment to safety,” said Jennifer Vosburg, President of Louisiana Generating. “Achieving VPP Star status at Big Cajun II is a tremendous vote of confidence in our plant leadership and employees.”Big Cajun II generates electricity from three large steam units on a 2,000-acre site. Units 1 and 2 began commercial operation in 1981. Big Cajun II’s unit 3 came online in 1983, and is co-owned by NRG and Entergy. Big Cajun II is the 10 th NRG facility to earn VPP Star status and the first in Louisiana. About NRG
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV