Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE:KORS) (the “Company”), a global luxury lifestyle brand with a multi-channel strategy, unique design and strong infrastructure, today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended June 30, 2012.
John Idol, the Company’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, “We are pleased with the strong start to our fiscal year with a 71% increase in total revenue and 185% growth in net income. Our results demonstrate the strong momentum of the Michael Kors brand and the continued execution of our key growth strategies. Michael Kors’ luxury fashion designs are resonating globally with our customers.”
For the first quarter ended June 30, 2012:
- Total revenue increased 71% to $414.9 million from $243.1 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Retail net sales increased 76% to $215.0 million driven by a 37.3% increase in comparable store sales and 76 new store openings since the end of the first quarter last year. Wholesale net sales increased 66% to $182.4 million and licensing revenue increased 61% to $17.5 million.
- Gross profit increased 83% to $251.0 million, and as a percentage of total revenue increased to 60.5% compared to 56.3% in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Income from operations increased 149% to $111.9 million, and as a percentage of total revenue was 27.0%. This compares to income from operations for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 of $45.0 million, or 18.5% as a percentage of total revenue.
- Net income was $68.6 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, based on 199.4 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding. Net income for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was $24.1 million, or $0.13 per diluted share, based on 179.2 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding.
- At June 30, 2012, the Company operated 253 retail stores, including concessions, compared to 177 retail stores, including concessions, at the end of the same prior-year period. The Company had 68 additional retail stores, including concessions, operated through licensing partners. Including these, there were 321 Michael Kors stores worldwide at the end of the second quarter.
Mr. Idol continued, “During the first quarter we saw continued strength in each of our retail, wholesale and licensing segments and across geographies. In North America, our comparable store sales rose 38.4% reflecting the strong appeal of the Michael Kors brand, our consistent delivery of a compelling assortment of luxury products, and our exciting jet-set in-store experience. The 66% growth in our wholesale segment is the result of the continued conversions to shop-in-shops in department stores. Our strong revenue growth in Europe demonstrates the growing momentum of the Michael Kors brand which led to a 24.2% increase in comparable store sales and strong performance in our wholesale operations. The 61% growth in our licensing revenue was led by strong sales in the Michael Kors watch line. Overall, we are extremely excited about the long term growth potential of our Company as we continue to build upon the success we achieved in establishing Michael Kors as a global luxury lifestyle brand.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV