TORONTO AND BOGOTA, Aug. 14, 2012 /CNW/ - Scotiabank today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire a 51 percent stake in Colfondos AFP, Colombia's fourth largest pension fund company, pending regulatory approval. The terms of the transaction are not financially material and were not disclosed. After completion of the transaction, Mercantil Colpatria will retain 49 per cent ownership in the firm.
"Expanding Global Wealth Management's footprint in Latin America is a strategic priority for Scotiabank and the acquisition of a majority stake in Colfondos will increase our regional presence in this segment," said Chris Hodgson, Group Head of Global Wealth Management at Scotiabank. "Colfondos has achieved a great deal of success and, with our partners at Mercantil Colpatria, we look to continue the growth and expansion of this business."
Scotiabank also operates pension fund company Profuturo AFP in Peru, which it acquired in 2008, and Scotia Crecer AFP in the Dominican Republic, which it acquired in 2007.
Colfondos, with US$9.25 billion in Assets Under Management, has grown its presence to 27 offices in 20 cities across Colombia and 1,200 employees since it was founded in 1991. In 2009, Mercantil Colpatria acquired a majority stake in Colfondos. Anchor Fund and Linzor Capital Partners currently hold minority stakes in Colfondos and have agreed to sell these stakes to Scotiabank as part of the transaction."We are very pleased to work with Scotiabank, with their proven experience and success in wealth management," said Alcides Vargas Manotas, President of Colfondos AFP. "We are certain that Scotiabank's global capabilities will contribute to Colfondos' current investment portfolios resulting in innovative and value added alternatives for our clients."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV