The model for Charlotte's growth has changed too. The city in its exuberant youth used to look to Atlanta, and its grow-at-all-costs philosophy. In recent years, the city has become more reflective and started to emulate Portland, Ore., by looking to be a growing city that's more environmentally responsible and compact.
The problems in the banking industry also didn't hurt as bad as they could because Charlotte has diversified. The city is becoming a leader in energy too. One of its most recently-built skyscrapers, the 48-floor Duke Energy Center, houses what is now the largest utility in the nation after its namesake merged with Progress Energy recently.
"We would not have survived what happened a couple of years ago if there weren't other enterprises to fall back on. We're no longer a one-horse town," Vinroot, the former mayor said.
The Democratic Convention is a coronation of sorts for a place nicknamed the Queen City. While Atlanta remains the king of the South, Charlotte boosters think the convention will leave little doubt that cities like Raleigh or Birmingham, Ala., or even the old Confederate capital of Richmond, Va., are at least a tier below.Vinroot likes to think Charlotte's willingness to accept anyone from anywhere â¿¿ almost all of its most successful people are from somewhere else â¿¿ is what drove the city's growth. "It's a can-do, get involved place,' Vinroot said. "And I'll contrast that with Richmond. I've never lived in Richmond, it's a lovely place. But I my guess is there is a lot more interest in who your grandparents were than here in Charlotte. We're more interested in you and what you can do and how quickly you can do it."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV