When London 2012 wraps up, the iconic fabric “wrap” that surrounds the Olympic Stadium will live on. The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW), the Official Chemistry Company of the Olympic Games, announced today a partnership with leading UK building and development charity Article 25 and recycling company Axion Recycling to repurpose the entire stadium wrap. Dow said its textile wrap panels are slated for recycling and reuse projects in the UK, and shelter solutions for at-risk children in Uganda and Rio.
Over the past year, Dow and its partners created the innovative new material for the stadium wrap, conducted extensive performance and application testing and identified viable post-Games use options. Dow developed the material to meet LOCOG’s Sustainable Sourcing Code and Temporary Material Guidelines. Dow Elastomer technology made it possible for the wrap to achieve a unique combination of durability, flexibility and fire performance. The total wrap system, including steel cables and fixtures, accounts for less than half of one percent (<0.5%) of the stadium’s total carbon footprint, making it a low carbon solution for enclosing and decorating the structure.
“We were able to jump in and – within a year’s time – use Dow’s technology to develop this new material that completed the Olympic stadium and has clearly become the most prominent visual of the London 2012 Games,” said George Hamilton, vice president of Dow Olympic Operations. “As the textile architecture market grows, we will continue to work closely with our customers and partners to develop and deliver more sustainable, breakthrough solutions.”
Dow worked with the Building Research Establishment, UK (BRE) to screen and narrow the list of options for the post-Games use of the wrap. In its evaluation, BRE took into account various factors including waste creation, extent of reprocessing required, technical challenge, scale and end of second life use.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV