Real estate investment trust Kimco Realty (KIM) has ownership stakes in around 1,000 properties worldwide -- more than 138 million of leasable square feet in total. Kimco primarily owns and invests in neighborhood shopping centers, a business that got hit hard during the Great Recession. But now, with commercial real estate bouncing back and a solidified balance sheet at KIM, this stock has room to run higher.
Unlike most commercial REITs, Kimco owns a large number of properties in joint ventures with other firms (around half of its property portfolio). Joint ventures are a positive for Kimco because the firm can deploy capital other than its own while collecting a management fee from its partners for its role in running those properties. While that does confuse the firm's asset base a bit, it's an added revenue source that most other REITs don't have.Essentially, real estate investment trusts are income-generation tools. Because Kimco leases properties with long-term triple-net contracts, the firm enjoys easily forecasted rent revenues without the earnings hiccups of maintenance, taxes or insurance costs. And since REITs are required to pay out the vast majority of income as dividends, KIM produces a solid 3.9% yield right now. With analyst sentiment still on the upswing for Kimco, we're betting on shares of this Rocket Stock right now. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV