Tyco International (TYC) owns three very different businesses: ADT security, a flow control service that makes valves and pipes, and a fire protection unit. That disparity is exactly why the firm is splitting up next month, breaking apart all three businesses (in a logical move, ADT commercial will be combined with fire protection) in a decision that should ultimately unlock some value for shareholders in 2012. Investors who buy now get a piece of all three.
The biggest business unit is going to be ADT. The residential security division boasts large margins and extremely high customer stickiness (forced in part by long-term contracts for consumer companies) that helped Tyco keep its sales minimally impacted by the recession. That makes earnings risks minuscule and upside quite large, especially as the firm grows its market from security alone to additional services like home automation.>>5 Stocks Insiders Love Right Now While I expect the split-up to unlock some significant value for shareholders, it's not coming cheap. Management anticipates taking on approximately $700 million in charges related to the split, a number that's on the hefty side of similar transactions. Still, this isn't Tyco's first rodeo. The firm has a history of successful spin-offs that provided considerable upside for investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV