Procter & Gamble
We're starting out defensive today, with Procter & Gamble (PG). P&G is the quintessential blue chip stock. It's massive, with a $182 billion market capitalization; it's old, founded 175 years ago; and it pays out a hefty dividend yield of 3.37%. For investors looking for security and stability, the old wisdom is still the same: Buy blue -chip names like P&G.
But this stock could have more upside than expected thanks to rising analyst sentiment in shares this week.Procter & Gamble is one of the world's biggest manufacturers of consumer products. The firm owns a big portfolio of popular brands that includes everything from Tide detergent to Charmin toilet paper and Cover Girl cosmetics. An abundance of household names and massive scale means that Procter & Gamble can easily secure the most attractive slots on grocery shelves, and that the firm has some semblance of pricing power over its customers. Those factors have helped P&G generate massive free cash flows in the past few years, cash that the company can return to shareholders via its dividend. >>5 Blue-Chip Stocks Ready to Boost Dividends Cost is key to P&G right now. Over the next few years, the firm expects to slash around $10 billion in costs from its income statement, a major initiative that should help to capture back some of the margins that Procter has lost from rising input costs. Ultimately, this behemoth is a good core holding for most anyone's portfolio -- especially with rates near zero and uncertainty still high.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV