CHICAGO, Aug. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows through July 2012. Long-term mutual fund flows bounced back in July with $24.6 billion in inflows following just $10.8 billion in June.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- The $13.8 billion increase in flows in July compared to June was primarily attributable to a spike in taxable bond inflows, which more than doubled to $23.6 billion from the previous month.
- U.S. stock outflows declined slightly to $8.2 billion from $8.5 billion in June. If ETF inflows were included, then U.S. stock outflows were just $700 million in July.
- Diversified emerging-market equity funds took in over $1.3 billion in July, but momentum has been slowing since February when the category welcomed nearly $3.2 billion in new money.
- PIMCO ended Vanguard's run at the top of the monthly leader board, absorbing nearly $6.6 billion in new money in July led by its Total Return fund, which accounted for $2.1 billion in inflows. On the flip side, the American Funds extended its consecutive-outflows streak to 37 months with nearly $4.2 billion exiting the family.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/julyflows12. To view a video recapping July's U.S. fund flow trends, please visit http://bit.ly/JulyFlows. For more information about Morningstar Asset Flows, please visit http://global.morningstar.com/assetflows.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV