NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I confess I'm a glass-half-full businessman and adviser.
I have found optimism to be one of the leading factors for surviving, let alone thriving, in uncertain and down times like these. Another success factor is being surrounded by and doing business with good, decent people and reliable companies.
Every day that gets a little tougher to do when you see the headlines about major business leaders doing something stupid, illegal or unethical.
As an investor, employee or customer, you have come to trust brands and companies and their leaders for things like quality, safety, dependability and certainly honoring laws and abiding by codes of decency and conduct.News like this breaks our confidence and security:
- WalMart's (WMT) Mexico FCPA is facing a bribery investigation
- UBS (UBS) will pay $26.6 million to resolve charges that its Puerto Rico-based brokerage unit propped up the price of the funds in the secondary market
- Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS) empire faces troubles over phone tapping and bribery of law-enforcement and political officials
- Galleon Group founder Raj Rajaratnam has been jailed for insider trading
- Merck (MRK) agreed to pay almost $1 billion in 2011 for deceptive marketing of Vioxx
- Venerable commercial and investment banks like Citi (C), JPMorgan (JPM), Bank of America (BAC) and Goldman Sachs (GS) have all settled claims with the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding subprime mortgage investments and are in seemingly never-ending SEC investigations over suspected violations
- Audits are working
- Everyday people have had enough and are becoming whistleblowers
- Even the rich and powerful can't hide forever if they're corrupt
- The judicial and regulatory systems are working bit by bit
- Internal checks and balances are working
- Penalties are becoming more severe
- Company boards are stepping up oversight of CEO conduct
- C-suites are stepping up their own self-awareness and across-the-company awareness of behavior
- Companies are revisiting their values statements, policies, procedures, training and processes to pursue with governance, risk, compliance and ethics excellence
- And investors continue to have access to reliable sources when conducting due diligence in researching companies
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV