WATSONVILLE, Calif., Aug. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- West Marine, the nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is proud to announce that it is accepting applications for its fourth annual Green Product of the Year Award. The contest is accepting entries from the entire U.S., including the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec).
Through the award, West Marine hopes to encourage green product development throughout the marine industry. "As a leading marine retailer, we want to use our position to support and promote sustainable innovation in the marine industry," said Matt Hyde, CEO, West Marine.
The Green Product of the Year is an important component of West Marine's BlueFuture® initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2013 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The panel of esteemed judges includes:
- Margaret Podlich, President, BoatUS
- Stan Honey, Director of Technology, America's Cup Event Authority
- Dr. Randy Kochevar, PhD, Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station
- Bill Lee, Owner, Wizard Yacht Sales
- Jim Leishman, Owner & VP of Nordhavn Yachts
- Rich Kolb, Engineering Manager, Volvo Penta of the Americas
- Dr. Ann Blake, PhD, Environmental and Public Health Consulting
- Randy Repass, Chairman and Founder, West Marine
- Chuck Hawley, VP of Sustainability & Product Information, West Marine
- Ron Japinga, EVP Merchandising & Logistics, West Marine
- Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
- Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
- Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
- Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
- Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2011, 2012 or will it be introduced in 2013?
- Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts