Aug. 13, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- West Marine, the nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is proud to announce that it is accepting applications for its fourth annual
Green Product of the Year Award
. The contest is accepting entries from the entire U.S., including the
District of Columbia
, as well as
(excluding the province of
Through the award, West Marine hopes to encourage green product development throughout the marine industry. "As a leading marine retailer, we want to use our position to support and promote sustainable innovation in the marine industry," said
, CEO, West Marine.
Green Product of the Year
is an important component of West Marine's BlueFuture® initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet. The
Green Product of the Year
will be announced and the award of
will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2013 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The panel of esteemed judges includes:
- Margaret Podlich, President, BoatUS
- Stan Honey, Director of Technology, America's Cup Event Authority
- Dr. Randy Kochevar, PhD, Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station
- Bill Lee, Owner, Wizard Yacht Sales
- Jim Leishman, Owner & VP of Nordhavn Yachts
- Rich Kolb, Engineering Manager, Volvo Penta of the Americas
- Dr. Ann Blake, PhD, Environmental and Public Health Consulting
- Randy Repass, Chairman and Founder, West Marine
- Chuck Hawley, VP of Sustainability & Product Information, West Marine
- Ron Japinga, EVP Merchandising & Logistics, West Marine
The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
- Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
- Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
- Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
- Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
- Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2011, 2012 or will it be introduced in 2013?
- Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at
August 13, 2012
November 23, 2012
ABOUT WEST MARINE
West Marine, the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has over 300 company-operated stores located in 38 states,
and five franchised stores located in
. Our Direct-to-Customer division, which comprises our call center, direct mail and e-commerce channels, offers Customers over 75,000 products plus the convenience of exchanging catalog and e-commerce purchases at our Store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING.
SOURCE West Marine