NEWARK, N.J., Aug. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Public Service Electric and Gas Co. (PSE&G) is recommending that its gas heating customers test their heating systems now, before the chilly weather arrives. If there's a problem, PSE&G will come out to start the unit -- at no charge -- through September 9, 2012.
"Chilly weather will be here soon, and one of the best things our gas heating customers can do now is to check their system to ensure safe and efficient operation before the colder weather arrives," said Joe Bassolino, PSE&G's manager of business development. "By testing their heating systems early, customers will be prepared for the upcoming cold weather. In addition, PSE&G will be able to respond more quickly at this time of the season if there is a problem."
PSE&G heating customers are advised to first inspect their gas-fired heating systems to ensure the units start and run properly.
- How to check your heating system:
- Verify that the area surrounding the unit is free of combustible items like boxes, paper, clothing, paint, etc.
- Make sure that the flue pipe is connected and in good condition.
- If you have a hot water boiler, verify that the indicator on the pressure gauge falls into the normal range (12-15 psi cold).
- If you have a steam heating system, check the water level in the sight glass. If it is low, turn on the water supply valve to bring the water level up to the half-way mark. Turn off the valve.
- For warm-air furnace systems, check and replace dirty air filters. Verify that the blower door is closed tight and correctly secured.
- Verify that all controls, valves, and electrical switches are in the "On" position.
- How to start up your heating system:
- If the unit is equipped with a pilot, confirm that it's lit. If the pilot light is out, follow the instructions on the heating unit to relight it. Let the pilot light burn a few minutes before continuing.
- Many heating units use a form of automatic ignition. Review the starting instructions located on the unit before continuing.
- Set each thermostat mode to "heat" (if equipped) and raise the setting five degrees above room temperature. The heating system should start within a minute or two.
- Let the unit run a few minutes to ensure it's operating normally and then return all controls to their previous settings.
- If you're having problems:
- Need help lighting the pilot? PSE&G will perform this service free-of-charge through September 09, 2012. PSE&G will charge $25 for this service from September 10 through October 31.
- Not working properly? PSE&G customers can call 1-800-350-PSEG (7734) or go to www.pseg.com to register their account and schedule repair services online for assistance from our appliance service technicians.
The utility also is asking customers to keep their homes and yards safe, well lit, and free of clutter so that our workers can safely access the meters and their equipment. Customers are asked to:
- Warn PSE&G workers of any hazardous conditions on your property, such as loose steps or railings.
- Make sure the path leading to your meters is clear and properly lit – especially stairways.
- Keep dogs and other pets secured away from our workers and service areas.
- Keep the area around your furnace, meter and appliances free and clear of clutter. Trim bushes and shrubs in the vicinity of meters located outdoors.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.