RLY has a total expense ratio of 0.7%, which covers the underlying ETFs' expenses. SPDR has reported a yield of 1.77% to the Securities and Exchange Commission, but it is too soon to know what the actual annual dividend will be.
As mentioned above, RLY has lagged the S&P 500 index since its inception in April by a little more than 2%. RLY is intended to protect investors against inflation. There is very little chance that an inflation protection strategy, like the one that underlies RLY, can offer much in the way of added portfolio benefit over the course of a few months.
Inflation eats away at purchasing power over long periods of time. If there is to be any benefit from holding RLY, it would be over the long term.
A final point is that although this fund is aimed at inflation protection, for years the government has reported inflation statistics that appear tame.Many people believe that government statistics don't accurately reflect real inflation, but as long as these numbers remain tame, they'll be a headwind for RLY. At the time of publication, Nusbaum held no positions in securities mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV