What Paul Ryan Means for Your Stock Portfolio
Given such a tenuous set of causal links, there is no reason at all to have any confidence that the candidate Ryan will have any predictable effect on the market one week or one year from now.
But just for the sake of argument, let's ignore all of those conceptual problems, and look at the empirical data. The claim, again, is that because Romney is ``pro-growth,'' higher polling numbers should cause investors to raise equity valuations. Wesbury pointed to this as a week-by-week relationship. In the attached chart, we've plotted the weekly change in Romney's electoral chances as tracked by the 2012.PRES.ROMNEY contract at Intrade against the weekly lagged S&P 500 returns. If a boost for Romney in the polls this week can predictably cause a rally in the market next week, there should be a discernible relationship among these data. But as you might have expected, a regression on this series shows no statistically meaningful relationship whatsoever (r^2 = 0.029).
So what does Paul Ryan mean for your stock portfolio? The same thing that most other events in the electoral cycle mean for your portfolio: nothing.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfitsJared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV