Verastem, Inc., (NASDAQ: VSTM) a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing drugs to treat breast and other cancers by targeting cancer stem cells, today reported financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, and also commented on certain corporate accomplishments and plans.
“We made significant advances in our therapeutic programs during the second quarter,” said Christoph Westphal, M.D., Ph.D., Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Verastem. “The acquisition of the Phase 2-ready focal adhesion kinase inhibitors from Pfizer accelerates this key cancer stem cell-targeting program by approximately 12-18 months, and we are now positioned to initiate a potential registration study in mesothelioma next year.”
Our significant recent accomplishments include the following:Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) Inhibition
Accelerated the FAK program by 12-18 months with the in-license of
VS-6063 from Pfizer
- VS-6063 has completed a Phase 1 study in advanced solid tumors, where it was well tolerated and demonstrated signs of clinical activity
- VS-6063 is expected to enter into a Phase 2 mesothelioma study in mid-2013
- A positive Phase 2 trial in mesothelioma could present an opportunity for an accelerated approval
Nominated VS-4718 as a development candidate
- IND-enabling toxicology studies were initiated in June 2012
- Accelerated VS-4718 clinical development with a planned Phase 1 healthy volunteer study anticipated to initiate in Q1 2013
- Outlined clinical development plans for VS-5584 including a Phase 1 study in patients with advanced solid tumors anticipated to commence in mid-2013
- Held our first annual Research and Development Day: outlined scientific rationale and clinical plans for each of our therapeutic programs
- Established a research collaboration with Eisai to discover next-generation small molecule inhibitors of Wnt signaling
- Presented data at the 2012 ASCO meeting from our biomarker diagnostic development program
- Added Richard S. Sackler, M.D., Chairman of Purdue Pharma, to our Scientific Advisory Board
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV