By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls got off to a quick start in Ultra Petroleum (UPL) on Friday morning.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of more than 6,000 September 26 calls against previous positioning of 2,473 contracts. The first blocks priced for 25 cents shortly after the open, followed by continued buying throughout the session.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares in the independent energy company, which is primarily focused on developing areas in the Green River Basin of southwest Wyoming. Those options could generate some nice leverage if the stock rallies, but they will expire worthless if it doesn't.Ultra Petroleum declined 1.01% to $22.62 on Friday. Energy has been a theme for awhile and continues to a sector in focus for unusual activity despite slowing down a little in the last week. Option volume in the name was almost twice the daily average. There were more than 9,500 total calls, versus barely 2,000 puts, so it was definitely a bullish session. Najarian owns UPL calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV