NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Earnings season is just about over and some of the biggest names are about to report market-moving earnings.
Look for strong growth in Wal-Mart and Home Depot. Cisco is always a favorite of mine to pay attention to, and Staples should provide an idea of how small business is coping in general as we approach the highest expected tax increase on business since Franklin Delano Roosevelt's administration.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT)
Background: Wal-Mart trades an average of eight million shares per day with a market cap of $249.9 billion. I love the stock, but don't enjoy shopping there unless I want to buy something late at night.52-Week High: $75.24 52-Week Low: $49.28 Book Value: $20.31 Price To Book: 3.36 The company is anticipated to report strong earnings before the market opens on Thursday. The consensus estimate is currently $1.17 a share, an improvement of 8 cents (6.8%) from $1.09 during the same period last year. Look for a beat of at least 1 cent to 2 cents. Analyst opinion is mixed. Most of the analysts surveyed don't believe a buy or a sell should be made at this point. Right now, WMT has 11 buy recommendations out of 23 analysts covering the company, and zero recommend selling. Short sellers agree, and less than 2% of the float is short. Wal-Mart is the first of two companies in this article that are in a strong bullish trend. The moving averages are moving higher and shareholders are happy. Trend followers love this pattern and will hold a position until a technical break results in a signal to exit. TheStreet'sJim Cramer writes about retailers in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV