WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) --Trading stocks that trigger major breakouts can lead to massive profits. Once a stock trends to a new high, or takes out a prior overhead resistance point, then it's free to find new buyers and momentum players that can ultimately push the stock significantly higher.
One recent example of a successful breakout trade that I flagged was biotechnology player Zalicus (ZLCS). I featured the stock in " 5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar" on July 26, when it was trading at around $1 per share. I mentioned that if ZLCS managed to hold some near-term support levels at 95 to 88 cents, and then take out some near-term overhead resistance levels at $1.09 to $1.10 a share with volume, then it could spike significantly higher.
Guess what happened? The stock never traded below 95 cents, and it went on to trigger that breakout over $1.09 to $1.10 a share with volume. The stock soared to $1.43 a share in just a few weeks. That entire move was accompanied by heavy volume, which is exactly what you want to see when a stock triggers a major breakout trade. It's very possible that ZLCS is far from down going higher, but now the stock will need to clear $1.43 to $1.62 a share soon with volume to keep the uptrend in place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV