Lucentis Safety in DME
The benefit/risk profile of Lucentis was favorable in patients with DME through 36 months in the clinical trials. Pooled safety analysis of RIDE and RISE at 24 months showed:
- The ocular safety of Lucentis in patients with DME was generally consistent with that established in patients with wet AMD and RVO (through 36 months).
- The most common ocular events occurring at a higher rate in patients receiving 0.3 mg Lucentis compared to the control groups included conjunctival hemorrhage (bleeding under the lining of the eye): 47 percent, 0.3 mg versus 32 percent, control; eye pain: 17 percent, 0.3 mg versus 13 percent, control; foreign body sensation in eyes: 10 percent, 0.3 mg versus 5 percent, control; vitreous floaters: 10 percent, 0.3 mg versus 4 percent, control; and increased eye pressure: 18 percent, 0.3 mg versus 7 percent, control.
Although uncommon, trends toward increased rates of arteriothromboembolic events (ATEs) such as vascular death, deaths of unknown cause, nonfatal heart attacks and nonfatal strokes, have been observed in prior studies of Lucentis in other diseases.
- Rates of these events were similar among DME patients receiving 0.3 mg Lucentis and the control groups at 24 months at 5.6 percent, 0.3 mg versus 5.2 percent, control. The rate of ATE events at 36 months was 10.8 percent for patients in the 0.3 mg treatment group (control period ended at 24 months).
- The rate of stroke in DME patients at 24 months was 1.2 percent, 0.3 mg versus 1.6 percent, control. The rate of stroke at 36 months was 2.0 percent for patients in the 0.3 mg treatment group.
Pooled analyses also showed the rate of fatal events (death from any cause) in patients treated in the DME trials was low, and many causes of death were not unusual for patients with advanced diabetes complications. However, a potential relationship between the events and intravitreal use of VEGF inhibitors cannot be excluded. The rate of fatalities at 24 months was 2.8 percent, 0.3 mg versus 1.2 percent, control. The rate of fatalities at 36 months was 4.4 percent for patients in the 0.3 mg treatment group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV