Mayer's strategy, although not laid out in full, is reportedly to "leverage the company's strong franchises," and improve its focus on search. Wieser noted the change in strategies from Levinsohn to Mayer, as Mayer focuses more on growth initiatives, and "improve its core product offerings rather than to generate cash or profits as a first priority."
If the cash is not returned to shareholders and acquisitions are indeed a part of the plan, there are several names which have been mentioned before as potential takeover targets.
Hulu, The Weather Channel, and TripAdvisor (TRIP) were names that were floated as part of the cash-rich split deal between Alibaba and Yahoo! that ultimately went nowhere. Ironfire Capital founder and president Eric Jackson suggested others as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV