I am not a New York sports fan and took a position primarily due to other assets owned by the company, including among other things the Madison Square Garden Complex and associated air rights.
But you certainly can't ignore the value of the Knicks and Rangers in the equation. The Knicks, which were recently listed as the No. 2 most valuable NBA franchise by Forbes, are worth an estimated $900 million. The Rangers are listed as the NHL's second most valuable franchise, worth an estimated $507 million by Forbes.
Interestingly, Madison Square Garden has a total enterprise value of $2.6 billion, but the Knicks and Rangers alone are valued at more than $1.4 billion. I wonder what the Madison Square Garden property is worth? What is the company's media business worth? In all, MSG is a fairly compelling asset play.
It will be interesting to see how the Manchester United IPO plays out, given the history of publicly traded teams in our markets.I, for one, am holding out for a Philadelphia Phillies IPO, which will likely never happen. It would certainly be a bit cheaper this year, given the way they are playing. At the time of publication, Heller was long MSG. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV