NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Research In Motion (RIMM) was one of the big gainers in premarket trading on Friday, after a media report said IBM (IBM) may be interested in buying its enterprise services business.
Citing two unnamed people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reported that IBM made an informal approach about acquiring the division.
RIM shares climbed 5.51% to $8.23 on Friday. The embattled Canadian handset maker was also one of the most active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 754,449.
Shares of IBM dipped 0.13% to $198.17 in premarket trading.IBM and RIM both declined to comment on this story, saying that they don't comment on rumor and speculation. Nvidia (NVDA) was another gainer in premarket trading, rising 3.94% to $15.29 after the company's strong second-quarter results, released after market close on Thursday. The chipmaker was another active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 301,224. Fusion-io (FIO), however, was an even bigger gainer, with shares surging 22.45% to $25.74 following the company's strong fourth-quarter results, released on Thursday. The storage specialist reported record revenue of $106.6 million -- a 49% revenue hike from the prior year's quarter and a 13% sequential increase. "Our performance is reflecting our unique position in the market," noted Fusion-io CEO David Flynn, in an interview with TheStreet, pointing to the company's recent launch of its ION Data Accelerator software. "It performs the role of an open SAN
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV