NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Private equity giant Apollo Global Management's (APO) investment success in chemicals conglomerate LyondellBasell (LYB) shows what big money private equity has discovered and what retail investors have yet to realize: Cyclical stocks can tell you the direction of corporate earnings but that doesn't mean they say anything about valuations.
By looking at chemical giant LyondellBasell's continued recovery from bankruptcy and gains made by its private equity and hedge fund shareholders since an October 2010 initial public offering illustrate that confusion may abound about cyclical stock valuations.
Be it steel manufacturer Alcoa (AA), chemicals giant DuPont (DD) or equipment maker Caterpillar (CAT), cyclical's are rightfully seen by investors as leading indicators for corporate earnings and the overall economy.
But as a read on the direction of stock market valuations, cyclical stocks may be the exact opposite. In fact, a look at the private equity and hedge fund score in LyondellBasell stands as proof of a crucial, but counterintuitive investing dynamic. While Apollo invested in LyondellBasell at peak valuation multiples, it also entered the company as it neared cyclical earnings lows after the onset of the Great Recession.Now, many expect that the opposite. In fact, after a string of blockbuster earnings quarters in a shaky economy, continued optimism on LyondellBasell's shares hinge on whether its multiple rises as earnings peak. The counterintuitive interplay between earnings and valuations is the key, after LyondellBasell reported better than expected second quarter earnings in late July. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV