By Jon "DRJ" Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- A large trader is betting that emerging markets are heading higher.
The same player apparently has been buying the iShares MSCI EAFE Index Fund (EFA) and the iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index Fund (EEM). This trader has been right so far and Thursday came back to the emerging markets.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 40,000 September 42 calls, the sale of 80,000 September 43.50 calls, and the sale of 40,000 September 45 calls. That trade, known as a butterfly spread, will leverage a move between $42 and $43.50.It amounts to an $880,000 bet that the fund will drift up to $43.50 in the next 43 days. If that occurs, the trader will collect $6 million -- a profit of more than 500%. The fund's shares rose 0.42% to $40.54 Thursday and are up more than 8% since July 25. The butterfly pushed total option volume in the name to almost triple its daily average. Najarian is long EEM.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV