Best Beach Towns for Foreclosure Bargains
BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- The U.S. foreclosure crisis has cast a cloud over parts of Florida, California and other sunny locales, but a study shows there's big silver lining: cut-rate home prices in some beachfront communities.
"It's a good time to buy foreclosures in beachfront communities, because prices are so low in many locations compared to where they've been in the past," says Daren Blomquist of RealtyTrac, which recently compiled a list of "Best Beach Towns for Foreclosure Bargains."
RealtyTrac studied beach communities around the country to find those where "distressed" properties -- short sales, bank-owned homes and the like -- sold for the biggest discounts during the first quarter compared with what nondistressed properties fetched. All communities that made the list had at least 100 distressed-property sales during the quarter.
Blomquist says he's not surprised plenty of beachfront communities have lots of distressed properties; high-end homes represent the foreclosure market's fastest-growing segment.RealtyTrac found that 10,046 $2 million-and-up distressed homes sold in America last year -- a 764% increase from 2007. "What that indicates is some homeowners who may have been better off or able to forestall foreclosure for a period of time eventually got sucked into
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV