AMR Pilot Union Leader Resigns Suddenly
In a letter to the members of the Allied Pilots Association, Bates wrote that he agreed to resign at the request of the union's executive committee.
"Although I believe that ratifying the tentative agreement would have been the best course for our pilot group, the majority of our pilots signaled their preference for taking a different path," Bates wrote. "Given these circumstances, I concluded that continuing to serve as your president was not in the interests of the pilots I have been charged with representing."
The tentative agreement would have given American's pilots a 13.5% equity stake in the restructured company. It was opposed by 61% of the pilots who voted.The vote "throws the pilot contract back to the bankruptcy court and precedent suggests that AMR's pilots will get a worse deal when the judge rules next week," UBS analyst Kevin Crissey wrote in a report on Thursday. Crissey said he does not think the vote reduces the chance of a merger between American and US Airways (LCC), but it could slow the process. US Airways "was in favor of AMR's pilots agreeing to the new contract to facilitate the standalone/merger comparison," Crissey wrote. "However, US Airways isn't importantly hurt by this vote against the contract as the vote can be seen as a vote of no confidence in AMR management by AMR pilots." The rejection "makes it more challenging for AMR to emerge from bankruptcy standalone since creditors typically want labor under an agreed-to contract before receiving equity," he said. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV