Big pharma has been an oasis for dividend investors, and $133 billion pharmaceutical firm Merck (MRK) is no exception. Already in 2012, shares of Merck are up 17% -- and that's on top of the firm's quarterly dividend payout. The firm currently pays out a 42-cent dividend, generating a 3.8% dividend yield at current price levels.
Merck is a diversified pharmaceutical firm that develops and markets drug therapies and vaccines worldwide. The firm acquired Schering-Plough in 2009, dramatically expanding its late-stage pipeline and growing its consumer products exposure. But like most of its major peers, Merck has the black clouds of patent losses lingering over its future. That's a big part of why MRK has such a lofty yield right now.>>5 Pharma Stocks Everyone Hates The Schering acquisition also left Merck with heftier U.S. exposure than before: nearly half of the firm's sales come from the domestic market. And that's a very good thing right now considering the resilience of the U.S. dollar (that effectively penalizes overseas earnings) and the impact that "Obamacare" will have on pharmaceutical volumes in the next few years. With a deep net cash position on MRK's balance sheet and significant cash generation capabilities, this stock looks primed to hike its payouts in the next quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV