Healthy Food Tips For Back-to-School Success
CINCINNATI, Aug. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- While parents prepare to send their children back to school, they need to remember that nutrition plays a huge role in academic success. Whitney Rich, R.D., a registered dietitian at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, says multiple studies have shown that poor nutrition adversely effects school performance and overall achievement.
Rich says that the best way parents can help their children nutritionally is by making sure they have a healthy breakfast. She suggests that their breakfast consists of a variety of foods, especially high-fiber and nutrient-rich whole grains, fruits, and dairy products. This may include:
- Fiber rich and whole-grain cereals with low fat milk
- Yogurt and berries
- Toast, eggs and 100 percent fruit juice
- Whole wheat bagels and cheese or eggs with low fat milk
Rich says parents need to make sure their children have a healthy lunch, too. Many studies have shown that children who eat healthy, balanced breakfasts and lunches aren't just more alert throughout the day but also earn better grades than those who don't eat healthy.Rich gives the following tips to parents on how to ensure healthy nutrition for their child:
- Use myplate.gov. Follow the guidelines by making half the lunch fruits and vegetables, and at least half the grains whole grain. Remember to go easy on fats and sweets.
- Change is good. Beat boredom with different foods. Instead of regular bread every day, make sandwiches using pitas, bagels, English muffins, crackers or tortillas.
- Make it easy. Pack easy-to-eat fruit, such as grapes, apple wedges, strawberries or chunks of melon. Include a dipping sauce made of yogurt or peanut butter to make this healthy meal fun and easy.
- Be careful about what children drink. Even 100 percent juice is loaded with sugar. Encourage children to drink low fat white milk, or plain or sugar-free flavored water. Children should avoid drinks containing added supplements like herbs and caffeine.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts