Factors to Consider
Barchart technical indicators:
- The short- and mid-term technical indicators are all strengthening.
- The stock has a 24% Barchart technical buy signal.
- The stock has a Trend Spotter buy signal.
- Shares are trading above their 20- and 50-day moving averages and are within $5 of crossing their 100-day moving average.
- There are six new highs, and the stock is up 3.1% in the last month.
- The relative strength index is at 59.56%.
- Barchart.com computes a technical support level at $85.62
- Shares recently traded at $87.22 with a 50-day moving average of $84.44.
- Solid following on Wall Street, where 18 firms have assigned 22 analysts to make projections about the stock for clients.
- Analysts project revenue will increase by 14.4% this year and another 6.5% next year
- Earnings are estimated to increase by 29.9% this year, 9.40% next year and continue to increase by an annual rate of 17.5% for the next five years.
- The consensus numbers lead analysts to issue five strong buy, 10 buy, 7 hold and no underperform or sell recommendations to clients.
- If the numbers hold, analysts predict investors should see a total annual return in the 16% to 20% range over the next five years.
- The balance sheet gets an A+ rating.
- TheStreet Ratings gives the stock a B rating.
- The price-to-earnings ratio of 9.52 is a discount to the market P/E of 14.8.
- The dividend rate of 2.38% is about 15% of projected earnings and almost the same as the market dividend rate of 2.40%.
- The company is grounded in the production of power production equipment, all types of heavy construction equipment and the heavy equipment used in mining.
- Acquisitions in all three of these sectors in the U.S., Germany and China give CAT added production capacity.
- The company's marketing plan is targeting the growing economies of China and Brazil, and when those countries restart building their power grids and infrastructures CAT will benefit directly.
- Most brokerages have a hold or better on this stock, and there are favorable recommendations from Bank of America Securities, Goldman Sachs, Barclays Capital Management, Jefferies, UBS and RBC.
- Since Jim Cramer gave it a thumbs-up in July, the stock is up about 5.59%
- Other positive comments came from Tobin Smith, Gary B. Smith and Tom Gayner.
- I look for individual investor sentiment from the readers of Motley Fool, where 5,922 readers gave the stock a 94% vote of confidence to beat the market
- TheStreet Ratings rates its A-.
- Revenue is projected to increase by 16.5% this year and 3.7% next year.
- Earnings estimated to be up 23.8% this year and 4.9% next year.
- TheStreet Ratings rates it A-.
- Revenue is projected to increase by 0.5% this year and 7.2% next year.
- Earnings are expected to increase by 5.7% this year and 10.8% next year.
- TheStreet Ratings rates it B.
- Revenue is projected to increase by 8.1% this year and 5.9% next year.
- Earnings are expected to be up 14.3% this year and 11.0% next year.
ConclusionYou will see Caterpillar products in almost every picture illustrating the infrastructure growth that is expected in both the developed and emerging economies during the next decade. As the world economy begins to grow again, mining, power production and distribution, and road construction will be some of the first industries to recover. These industries will rely on CAT equipment. I think the stock will reward investors over the next decade, and as soon as I see global leading economic indicators turn positive, CAT will be on my buy list. I think the moving averages and turtle channels have signaled a support level in the stock: This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts