SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As shareholders call for closer links between executive compensation and corporate performance, companies continue to migrate toward the use of performance-based equity over traditional stock options and restricted shares. In particular, performance-based equity plans using Relative Total Shareholder Return ("Relative TSR") metrics are on the rise. Radford's new web portal, launched today at www.RelativeTSR.com, explores Relative TSR plans in unmatched detail and reveals a number of emerging trends. Key findings are presented below.
Relative TSR Is the Top Metric for Performance-Based Equity Compensation
According to new research published today by Radford, an Aon Hewitt Company, nearly 600 US companies have adopted Relative TSR plans since 2005, including more than 140 new plans in the last two years. Under Relative TSR plans, final award payouts are typically tied to relative stock price returns against a peer group or a stock market index. These findings make Relative TSR the most prevalent performance metric for equity compensation programs today.Prior to the economic downturn of 2008, Relative TSR plans were considered fairly uncommon. However, they now serve as a go-to strategy for creating improved alignment between the long-term interests of executives and shareholders. Relative TSR Plans Offer Companies Diverse Strategic Benefits Performance-based equity incentive plans with Relative TSR metrics offer companies a wide range of important benefits, including:
- Reduced forecasting requirements for long-term performance goals, especially in an uncertain macro-economic environment.
- Increased flexibility for companies to disclose performance goals to shareholders in a clear and concise manner without the risk of releasing key business strategies.
- Reduced use of redundant performance metrics between annual cash incentive plans and long-term equity incentive plans, improving the overall risk profile of executive compensation programs.
- The ability to motivate and focus employees to perform against a defined set of competitors.
- Clearer links between final executive compensation payouts and shareholder value creation.
- A renewed focus on setting transparent goals that matter to shareholders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV