Medical Properties Trust, Inc. (the “Company”) (NYSE: MPW) today announced financial and operating results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
SECOND QUARTER AND RECENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Achieved second quarter Normalized Funds from Operations (“FFO”) and Adjusted FFO (“AFFO”) per diluted share of $0.22 each compared to $0.16 in second quarter of 2011;
- Added new assets including $100 million investment in acute care hospital and $26 million investment in post-acute care developments;
- Restructured Prime Healthcare investments through master lease and other cross-collateralization arrangements; and
- Paid 2012 second quarter cash dividend of $0.20 per share.
Included in the financial tables accompanying this press release is information about the Company’s assets and liabilities, net income and reconciliations of net income to FFO and AFFO, all on a comparable basis to 2011 periods.
“High quality hospitals, like those Medical Properties Trust invests in, will remain a cornerstone of the U.S. healthcare system,” said Edward K. Aldag, Jr., Chairman, President and CEO of Medical Properties Trust. “Regardless of which reform legislation may be enacted, the healthcare system in the U.S. is expected to continue its focus on policy that supports the intersection of improved patient outcomes and cost savings. MPT’s high quality hospital operators are well-positioned to capitalize on this long-term trend.”OPERATING RESULTS Second quarter 2012 total revenues increased 46% and Normalized FFO per share increased 37% compared to the second quarter of 2011. The improvements are the result of MPT’s continued successful execution of the growth and investment strategies the Company implemented in 2010. Since that time, MPT has raised capital and made hospital investments totaling more than $1.0 billion with average returns of more than 10%. “When we restarted our investment program after waiting out the uncertainty and volatility of 2008 and 2009, we raised significant amounts of capital with the goal of creating a solid foundation to support long-term, profitable growth,” continued Mr. Aldag. “Our per-share results in the second quarter illustrate the benefits of our long-term investment strategy and validate our commitment to investing in high quality hospital operators. Per share Normalized FFO was substantially above the $0.20 dividend we paid last month, resulting in a payout ratio of 91%. This ratio is expected to be approximately 75% in early 2013. As we continue to execute our growth strategy and drive the payout ratio down, we believe we will be well positioned to continue to support initiatives that will enhance shareholder value.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV