Medical Properties Trust, Inc. (the “Company”) (NYSE: MPW) today announced financial and operating results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
SECOND QUARTER AND RECENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Achieved second quarter Normalized Funds from Operations (“FFO”) and Adjusted FFO (“AFFO”) per diluted share of $0.22 each compared to $0.16 in second quarter of 2011;
- Added new assets including $100 million investment in acute care hospital and $26 million investment in post-acute care developments;
- Restructured Prime Healthcare investments through master lease and other cross-collateralization arrangements; and
- Paid 2012 second quarter cash dividend of $0.20 per share.
Included in the financial tables accompanying this press release is information about the Company’s assets and liabilities, net income and reconciliations of net income to FFO and AFFO, all on a comparable basis to 2011 periods.
“High quality hospitals, like those Medical Properties Trust invests in, will remain a cornerstone of the U.S. healthcare system,” said Edward K. Aldag, Jr., Chairman, President and CEO of Medical Properties Trust. “Regardless of which reform legislation may be enacted, the healthcare system in the U.S. is expected to continue its focus on policy that supports the intersection of improved patient outcomes and cost savings. MPT’s high quality hospital operators are well-positioned to capitalize on this long-term trend.”OPERATING RESULTS Second quarter 2012 total revenues increased 46% and Normalized FFO per share increased 37% compared to the second quarter of 2011. The improvements are the result of MPT’s continued successful execution of the growth and investment strategies the Company implemented in 2010. Since that time, MPT has raised capital and made hospital investments totaling more than $1.0 billion with average returns of more than 10%. “When we restarted our investment program after waiting out the uncertainty and volatility of 2008 and 2009, we raised significant amounts of capital with the goal of creating a solid foundation to support long-term, profitable growth,” continued Mr. Aldag. “Our per-share results in the second quarter illustrate the benefits of our long-term investment strategy and validate our commitment to investing in high quality hospital operators. Per share Normalized FFO was substantially above the $0.20 dividend we paid last month, resulting in a payout ratio of 91%. This ratio is expected to be approximately 75% in early 2013. As we continue to execute our growth strategy and drive the payout ratio down, we believe we will be well positioned to continue to support initiatives that will enhance shareholder value.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts