Hardinge Inc. (NASDAQ: HDNG), a leading international provider of advanced metal-cutting solutions, reported financial results for its second quarter 2012.
Net sales (“sales”) were $86.3 million in the second quarter of 2012, down $0.3 million, or 0.4%, from sales of $86.7 million in the prior year’s second quarter. Compared with the prior-year quarter, foreign currency translation negatively impacted second quarter 2012 sales by approximately $2.1 million. When compared with the trailing first quarter of 2012, sales were up $11.7 million, or 16%, during the second quarter 2012.
Net income for the second quarter increased to $3.6 million, up $0.5 million when compared with the prior year’s second quarter. Compared with the trailing first quarter of 2012, net income grew $1.2 million, or 49%. On a per diluted share basis, earnings were $0.31 in the second quarter of 2012 compared with $0.27 in the same period in the prior year and $0.21 in the trailing first quarter of 2012.
Richard L. Simons, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “Sales to Europe and North America remained stable in the quarter despite economic concerns. Sales to Asia remain challenged by tough comparatives with last year’s surge and a general slowing of growth in that region. Importantly, a favorable product mix resulted in measurable net income growth during the quarter.”Sales Distribution More Balanced Among Geographic Regions
|Sales by Region|
|June 30,||June 30,||March 31,|
|Sales to Customers in||2012||% of Total||2011||% Change||2012||% Change|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV