NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- The Olympics are supposed to show the world how to be the best. This time it showed the Web how to be its best.
If you think about it, the Olympics are what the Web was supposed to be: a near-magical reweaving of otherwise meaningless rituals and ideas into a thing of unequaled value. Forget about high-end opening ceremony tickets that London paper The Telegraph says ran 4,500 pounds each. Or the intense -- and utterly fair -- debate about whether hosting the games helps or harms host cities.
The cold hard cash this event throws off is staggering in comparison with digital brands.
A five-ring value engine
Just take a look at Page 6 of the International Olympic Committee's Marketing Fact File report. For this year, the IOC claimed $3.9 billion in broadcast revenue and about $1 billion in so-called international marketing sponsorship dollars. Let's conservatively estimate another $2 billion in domestic sponsorships, tickets sales and other dollars. We don't know those figures yet, but those are in line with previous Olympics. That grosses up to a cool, round-number $7 billion or so of inbound cash.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV