According to the Nielsen reports for the 13 weeks through July 21, 2012, for all outlets combined, namely convenience, grocery, drug and mass merchandisers, on an expanded basis I just described, including Wal-Mart, dollar stores, DeCA military stores and club stores, but excluding Costco, sales in dollars in the energy drink category, including shots, increased 16.5% versus the same period a year ago. Sales of Monster grew 24.9% in the 13-week period, while sales of Red Bull increased by 19.3%. Sales of Rockstar increased by 7.2%, and sales of 5-Hour increased by 4.2%. Sales of Amp put down 2.4%, NOS increased 13.8% off a low base and sales of Full Throttle increased 6.5%.
For comparative purposes, according to the Nielsen reports, for the 13-week through July 21, 2012, on the previously reported basis for all outlets combined, namely convenience, grocery, drug and mass merchandisers, excluding Walmart, sales in dollars in the energy drink category including shots increased 16.4% versus the same period a year ago. Sales in Monster grew 23.6% in the 13-week period, while sales of Red Bull increased by 19.8%. Sales of Rockstar increased by 7.6% and sales of 5-Hour increased by 6.2%. Sales of Amp were down 2.2%, NOS increased 13.2% off a low base, and sales of Full Throttle increased 6%.
According to the Nielsen reports for the 4 weeks ended July 21, 2012, sales of energy drink in the convenience and gas channel in dollars increased by 12.5% over the comparable 4-week period in 2011. Sales of Monster increased by 20.2% over the comparable period last year, while sales of Red Bull increased by 16.2% over the comparable period last year. Rockstar was up 5.9%, while 5-Hour was up 0.7%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV