Olympics a Win for Sporting Brands Sold in China
Even if local brands can't outrun their foreign rivals, it's hard to imagine them losing money, giving support to company fundamentals despite depressed share prices. Lesser-known local sporting equipment makers, many from China's southern provinces, also should net growth in sales of off-brand badminton rackets and ping pong balls -- cutting into the bigger names that sell partly on prestige.The Olympics not enough? State-run Chinese media reported in mid-2011 that the country's Five-Year Plan, which runs through 2015, will foster a sports industry worth 400 billion yuan, or a bit over 0.7% of the GDP. Sports, at that point, will "become one of the important growth points of China's economy," the China Dailynewspaper said.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV