The Middleby Corporation (NASDAQ: MIDD), a leading worldwide manufacturer of equipment for the commercial foodservice and food processing industries, today reported net sales and earnings for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012. Net earnings for the second quarter were $31,045,000 or $1.67 per share on net sales of $260,040,000 as compared to the prior year second quarter net earnings of $19,628,000 or $1.06 per share on net sales of $210,855,000.
2012 Second Quarter Financial Highlights
- Net sales increased 23.3% in the second quarter as compared to the prior year second quarter. Sales from acquisitions amounted to $38.8 million or 18.4% during the quarter. Excluding the impact of acquisitions, sales increased 4.9% during the second quarter.
- Net sales at the company’s Commercial Foodservice Equipment Group increased 10.2% in the second quarter as compared to the prior year second quarter. Excluding the impact of the acquisitions completed in the second quarter of 2011, net sales of Commercial Foodservice Equipment increased by 5.4%.
- Net sales at the company’s Food Processing Equipment Group increased 94.8% in the second quarter as compared to the prior year second quarter. During fiscal 2011, the company completed the acquisitions of Auto-Bake, Maurer-Atmos, Danfotech, Drake and Armor Inox. During fiscal 2012, the company completed the acquisition of Baker Thermal Solutions (formerly Turkington). Excluding the impact of these acquisitions, sales increased by 2.1% in the second quarter.
- Gross profit in the second quarter increased to $101.8 million from $85.3 million and the gross margin rate decreased from 40.5% to 39.2%. The decline in the gross margin rate reflects a higher mix of sales from the Food Processing Equipment Group with lower gross margins, due in part to recent acquisitions.
- Operating income increased 28.7% in the second quarter to $45.3 million from $35.2 million in the prior year quarter.
- Non-cash expenses during the second quarter of 2012 amounted to $9.5 million, including $2.2 million of depreciation, $4.1 million of intangible amortization and $3.2 million of non-cash share based compensation.
- Provisions for income taxes increased to $12.7 million at a 29.0% effective rate in comparison to $11.9 million at a 37.8% effective rate in the prior year quarter. The second quarter tax provision reflects the favorable impact of increased foreign earnings at lower tax rates and a non-recurring benefit from reduced state tax exposures.
- Total debt at the end of the 2012 second quarter amounted to $274.2 million as compared to $317.3 million at the end of 2011. The reduction in debt is net of the funding for acquisition activities of $10.6 million during the first six months of 2012.
- On August 7, 2012, subsequent to the end of the second quarter, the company entered into a new five-year $1.0 billion multi-currency senior revolving credit agreement, with the potential under certain circumstances to increase to $1.350 billion. This facility replaces the company’s pre-existing $600 million senior revolving credit facility, which had an original maturity of December 2012. The new facility bears an interest rate of LIBOR plus a margin of 1.5%, which is adjusted quarterly based upon the company’s leverage ratio. The new facility provides for availability to fund acquisitions and share repurchases so long as the company maintains certain financial ratios.
Selim A. Bassoul Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “In the second quarter, at our Commercial Foodservice Equipment Group, we realized continued growth reflecting increased sales in emerging markets and with chain restaurant customers as they upgrade equipment and adopt new technologies to improve the efficiency of store operations. This growth was offset in part by lower sales in Europe due to difficult market conditions which we anticipate will continue in the near term.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV