Dillard's, Inc. (NYSE: DDS) (the "Company" or "Dillard's") announced operating results for the 13 weeks ended July 28, 2012. This release contains certain forward-looking statements. Please refer to the Company's cautionary statements regarding forward-looking information included below under "Forward-Looking Information".
Second Quarter Results
Dillard’s reported net income for the 13 weeks ended July 28, 2012 of $31.0 million, or $0.63 per diluted share compared to net income of $17.6 million or $0.32 per share for the 13 weeks ended July 30, 2011. Highlights of the 13 weeks ended July 28, 2012 included:
- A 3% increase in comparable store sales
- Merchandise gross margin improvement of 70 basis points of sales
- Operating expense leverage of 70 basis points of sales
- Repurchase of $134.6 million (2.1 million shares) of Class A Common Stock
Dillard’s Chief Executive Officer, William T. Dillard, II, stated, “Continuing on the momentum of a successful first quarter, we are proud to report a 97% increase in second quarter earnings per share. Our 3% sales increase combined with gross margin improvement and control of our expenses enabled us to report a notable improvement in operating results today. Additionally, with strong cash flow during the quarter, we repurchased $134.6 million of Class A Common Stock under our share repurchase program.”Included in net income for the prior year second quarter is a $2.1 million net pretax gain ($1.4 million after tax or $0.02 per share) relating to the sale of an interest in a mall joint venture. Net Sales – 13 Weeks Net sales for the 13 weeks ended July 28, 2012 were $1.488 billion compared to net sales for the 13 weeks ended July 30, 2011 of $1.442 billion. Net sales include the operations of the Company’s construction business, CDI Contractors, LLC (“CDI”).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV