The net loss in the second quarter of 2012 was $2.3 million, or ($0.11) per share, compared with a net loss of $0.9 million, or ($0.05) per share, in the second quarter of 2011. The loss from continuing operations for the second quarter of 2012 was $4.1 million, or ($0.20) per share, compared with a loss from continuing operations of $0.9 million, or ($0.05) per share for the second quarter of 2011. Income from discontinued operations for the second quarter of 2012 was $1.8 million, or $0.09 per share.
As of June 30, 2012, Ligand had cash, cash equivalents, short-term investments and restricted investments of $11.7 million.
Total revenues for the six months ended June 30, 2012 were $11.4 million, compared with $11.4 million for the first six months of 2011. Cost of goods sold was $0.6 million for the first six months of 2012, compared with $2.1 million for the first six months of 2011. Other operating costs and expenses for the first six months of 2012 were $13.3 million, compared with $12.4 million for the first six months of 2011.The net loss for the first six months of 2012 was $0.9 million, or ($0.04) per share, compared with net income of $9.1 million, or $0.46 per diluted share, for the first six months of 2011. The net loss from continuing operations for the first half of 2012 was $4.6 million, or ($0.23) per share, compared with net income from continuing operations of $9.1 million, or $0.46 per diluted share, for the comparable 2011 period. Net income and income from continuing operations for the first half of 2011 include a $13.4 million income tax benefit. Net income from discontinued operations for the first six months of 2012 was $3.7 million, or $0.19 per share. Second Quarter and Recent Partner Highlights
- Ligand partner GlaxoSmithKline announced that it has been granted priority review from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the supplemental new drug application for Promacta to treat thrombocytopenia in adult patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection.
- Captisol licensee Onyx Pharmaceuticals received accelerated approval from the FDA for Kyprolis (carfilzomib) for injection, a proteasome inhibitor indicated for the treatment of patients with multiple myeloma who have received at least two prior therapies, including bortezomib and an immunomodulatory agent, and have demonstrated disease progression on or within 60 days of completion of the last therapy.
- Ligand partner Pfizer announced that the European Medicines Agency (EMA) accepted for review the Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) for bazedoxifene/conjugated estrogens, a potential new medicine for postmenopausal women with a uterus for the treatment of estrogen deficiency symptoms and treatment of osteoporosis in women at risk of fracture. Pfizer expects a decision from the EMA in 2013.
- Ligand entered into a clinical-stage Captisol agreement with Vertex Pharmaceuticals.
- Ligand announced positive preclinical data on LGD-6972, a small-molecule glucagon receptor antagonist for the treatment of type-2 diabetes, at the American Diabetes Association’s 72 nd Scientific Sessions in June.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.